Introduction

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

a free man in Phoenix

I was born without a conscience
Full of freedom, full of nonsense
From the mountains to the beaches
Eat the apples, steal the peaches
Will you be this wild child's lady?
Will you carry me to safety?
Lock me up & take me home
I don't want to be free
Goin' crazy - on my own
It's not where I want to be
-David Byrne, The Moment of Conception
A Black River, photo copyright Davorin Mance

On last night's steps along the river Styx, that outward bound of the underworld that is very cleverly disguised as the Western Canal, I was really struggling. Filled with feelings of remorse, regret, self-loathing, anger, jealousy, sexual possessiveness, sadness. All of it roiling along as I walked east toward some passageway of Hell, also cleverly disguised, this time as 24th street.

But somewhere along the way it coalesced for me through an odd chain of thought that there is an entirely other perspective for me in the dark.

I am the winner in this situation. The two of them now have to deal with the reality of having formed an actual relationship and neither one of them, obviously, has the requisite skills to handle it. That they successfully get: each other. Hooray for them. What do I get? Freedom.

I am a free man. I have decided to repeat this to myself whenever some of the stabbing pain of loss, anger, betrayal and resentment arises. I am a free man. It helped at 4 this morning when I woke up feeling angry and abandoned and resentful. "Yes, you feel those things. But you're free. You are a free man."

I didn't ask to be free, I didn't want to be free, it has been extremely painful being freed-- but all of that is irrelevant. In fact, I am free, whether I like it or not. It dawned on me that I had been acting as if I were not free-- as if I were bound to a situation where my partner of more than 5 years left me for my first year college roommate-- that tale that keeps going around and around. Circling the toilet bowl. I have been acting as if I have some continued obligation in this sick, toxic, ugly triangulation characterized by betrayal and bad boundaries.

But I do not. I was forcefully cast out of the sickness into freedom. Of course, inner freedom and effective, sustainable letting go-- well, let's just say that's a work in progress. But the factual reality of my situation is I'm out. I am out of a toxic, painful, eroding, depressing, embarrassing, humiliating situation. I'm out of it. I thought the train cars were still crashing but that catastrophe ended a long time ago.

One of the most meta-painful of all states along this way has been the stuckness. The sense of being chained to unkind, selfish, rejecting people. Of having my destiny painfully interwoven with that of people who were treating me like shit. Of having suddenly had my story interleaved with the stories of manipulative, dishonest, exploitative, indifferent, cruel, abusive people acting out their own loneliness, insecurity, toxicity and unprocessed shit.



But that is not the truth of the situation. I am only chained there to the degree that my thoughts and feelings are chained there and I can choose to begin to experience, right now, the liberation that comes through the resentment work, the work of self care and the natural healing and separation that arises from enforced freedom. It's highly instructive to me that, if I had been given a choice, I definitely would have stayed in the situation and "tried to work it out." I think that says a lot about the work I will benefit from doing. It's hilarious how we deeply resent when a duplicitous, dishonest, uncaring, critical and emotionally unavailable person asks us to leave. We ought to be overjoyed, right? I mean, wouldn't that be the sane response?

It has felt like painful exile and exclusion. I have been reading the ex's silence in all the negative and rejecting ways. But I can turn the silence around and bask in it. It's just as much freedom, peace and quiet, separation from toxicity and the open space the universe is providing me to get clear and to cleanse myself of having gotten entangled in a bad faith nightmare.

Reading my way through When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chödrön has been helpful.

"Only to the extent that we expose ourselves over and over to annihilation can that which is indestructible be found in us."

She pinned a sign that said this to her wall after her husband left her because he was having an affair.

"I remember so vividly a day in early spring when my whole reality gave out on me. Although it was before I had heard any Buddhist teachings, it was what some would call a genuine spiritual experience. It happened when my husband told me he was having an affair. We lived in Northern New Mexico. I was standing in front of our adobe house drinking a cup of tea. I heard the car drive up and the door bang shut. Then he walked around the corner, and without warning he told me he was having an affair and he wanted a divorce.

I remember the sky and how huge it was. I remember the sound of the river and the steam rising up from my tea. There was no time, no thought, there was nothing-- just the light and a profound, limitless stillness. Then I regrouped and picked up a stone and threw it at him.

When anyone asks me how I got involved in Buddhism, I always say it was because I was so angry with my husband. The truth is that he saved my life. When that marriage fell apart, I tried hard-- very, very hard-- to go back to some kind of comfort, some kind of security, some kind of familiar resting place. Fortunately for me, I could never pull it off. Instinctively I knew that annihilation of my old dependent, clinging self was the only way to go. That's when I pinned that sign up on my wall."

Of course, this kind of existential risk can be overdone, definitely-- and it may be that we do not discover a single goddamned thing that is indestructible in ourselves-- it may be that we just suffer and are demoralized and want to die. That's why it's a risk. It's also necessary to have guides. No one just jauntily goes wandering around the underworld alone, looking for lessons.

But it occurs to me that, when things fall apart so suddenly and spectacularly, doesn't that necessarily mean that things were being held together-- that great forces and efforts were being applied to hold things together?



Molecular structure of cyanoacrylate, a.k.a. super glue

More Pema:

"Life is a good teacher and a good friend. Things are always in transition, if we could only realize it. Nothing ever sums itself up in the way that we like to dream about. The off-center, in-between state is an ideal situation, a situation in which we don't get caught and we can open our hearts and minds beyond limit. It's a very tender, nonaggressive, open-ended state of affairs."



7 comments:

  1. I feel the glimmer of (my own) freedom, of a wide open kind, from reading this. Beautiful work.

    A question. You suggest that you would have chosen to remain in a damaging situation, were you given that choice, and preferred to try to work things out. (And that this suggests some of your work ahead, getting to understand these inclinations.) I am curious: now that you know what you know about your ex from her recent behavior and treatment of you: if you had had access to this information from the outset, would you have chosen to become involved with her to begin with? Would you choose to get involved with her in future, should she signal that she wants to resume a relationship? Speculative situations, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An excellent game! Pluto approves, although there's warning labels all over the box. The truth is, I had all of this information when the ex and I were getting together and it mattered not one bit. She quickly discarded a marriage of ten years to a man with whom she had a 3 year old son as soon as she "fell in love" (became addicted) to me. I watched and knew something was not quite right, but fairly consciously chose to accept her reassurances that she "was not leaving my husband for you, the marriage has been over for years," etc. There was no effort on her part to salvage anything. She always frequently and without reservation talked with me about what a "dumbass" and a "fuck up" her soon to be ex husband was. Again, I got little waves of misgivings- and remembered what an old friend of mine used to say: "how someone talks about their ex is probably how they will talk about you someday, so pay attention." There was one other revelation early in our partnership that almost ended it. So, no, on those levels, I had all the information I needed and yet proceeded enthusiastically. Quite apart from all of that, even knowing what I know now, there have been untold gifts, growth, happiness and lessons from September 2011 to March 2017 that I would not trade for anything. In spite of how painful this situation is. If we were to only go on adventures with absolutely safe people who had no character flaws, we'd never go on adventures. We have to be willing to forgive. As I reach more equanimity with the ex, I am quite sure the list of gifts for which I am grateful will grow and grow. There is not much room for that right now, as I process the pain and abandonment and my own tendency to stay close to abuse, but in any honest appraisal there ultimately (usually) will be a pretty long list of amazing shit that one could never have experienced without the partnership. In fact, honestly admitting how beautiful parts of the adventure were is also part of getting free.

      Delete
    2. However, I will say that my inclination to stay and "work things out" arises from a delusional situation where she also would be willing to end or change the nature of her relationship with the paramour and refocus on connecting with me. This is laughable, and absurd, like most delusions, since she never indicated any real desire to try that. So the very first thing I want to get closer to is why I am so delusional when it comes to women and people in general who are obviously done with me. It's one of the core symptoms of co-dependency, for sure.

      Delete
    3. Finally, would I enter into a partnership with the ex again if she wanted to? Hmmm. Let's say she arrives in a few years having had extensive therapy, in recovery for sex and love addiction and having worked all 12 steps with a program sponsor, acknowledging her addictive patterns and making amends for the harm she caused me. I might consider it.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this caveat to the originally fearless facing of self annihilation: "Of course, this kind of existential risk can be overdone, definitely-- and it may be that we do not discover a single goddamned thing that is indestructible in ourselves-- ".

    Oh good... jumping off the cliff in that direction seems SO much more enticing now, as if it wasn't a completely unappealing and difficult task to begin with. :-)

    I kid. Change requires risk, dedication, some faith in oneself (or in the existence of cosmic lifeguards who will show up when you need them after jumping in the deep end.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed-- and I guess the caveat also was related to those who become addicted to spiritual drama and are really just self-annihilation junkies and never end up having any effective purpose in the world.

    ReplyDelete

This is an anonymous blog, mostly in an effort to respect the 12th tradition of Alcoholics Anonymous. Any identifying information in comments will result in the comment not being approved.