Introduction

Friday, October 30, 2020

Percy Retires

 It struck me suddenly but absolutely and with finality that this blog will go the way of all things, November 1. It seems fitting that the whole theme of a trip through Hades, the descent into the Underworld, and the echoes of repeated loss, deprivation, bewilderment, and grief might now be well concluded. Not concluded in life, of course. We can only ask so much, yeah?  

Sunset view from Hotel Playa de Cortes in Guaymas, Sonora, 2015


The main features have drawn to a triumphant close: I am single and unavailable, the PhD is finished successfully, I am starting to publish, I transitioned out of the grad school life, I have a great job in a great school community that pays well, I live in a weird and interesting huge city, eye and prostate and mental health are just whatever they are. Brother-in-law and father and all the other dead or living dead can be left in the Underworld where they decided to go. Percy might stay down there, or he might come up and get over it. I'll leave that up to him. 

I also like the fact that this blog ends on a post a day for a whole month, the month of October, which seems the natural month of endings anyway. 

Finally, hardly anyone is reading this anymore. Not that this stopped good old Percy who became quite used to hollering into the emptiness since about March 2017. 

Anyway, those who were following, I am going to be writing anonymously  elsewhere, and if you are curious about that and want to follow along in the new space, email Percy at Plutonian1 at protonmail dot com. I look forward to the mad rush of people who just can't get enough of my blogging. The blog as a genre is fucking dead anyway. That won't stop me. Maybe if I keep at it long enough, the genre will come back, and I'll suddenly be bathed in fame and riches. 

To those who have read along since March 2017, deep gratitude. It's been important for me to have some sense of speaking a story through all of the weird peregrinations of this period of one of the worst bottoms of my life. 

A couple more posts, today, and tomorrow. Then into the Under or Other world with Percy. I'll have to find a way to say farewell to him as well. He was a boon companion. 


Soon this space will be too small

And I'll go outside
To the huge hillside
Where the wild winds blow
And the cold stars shine

I'll put my foot
On the living road
And be carried from here
To the heart of the world

I'll be strong as a ship
And wise as a whale
And I'll say the three words
That will save us all
And I'll say the three words
That will save us all

Soon this space will be too small
And I'll laugh so hard
That the walls cave in
Then I'll die three times
And be born again
In a little box
With a golden key
And a flying fish
Will set me free

Soon this space will be too small
All my veins and bones
Will be burned to dust
You can throw me into
A black iron pot
And my dust will tell
What my flesh would not
Soon this space will be too small
And I'll go oustide
And I'll go oustide
And I'll go oustide

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is an anonymous blog, mostly in an effort to respect the 12th tradition of Alcoholics Anonymous. Any identifying information in comments will result in the comment not being approved.