Introduction

Friday, October 4, 2019

Sorcery and other hobbies

I've been feeling very introverted, intuitive and tender lately. I can easily be more powerfully somewhere else than my actual physical location, the past week or so. It's a time of very much living in my imagination, and in my gut sense of things. Probably a natural side effect of a lot of work on the PhD becoming much more streamlined and focused, and spending a tremendous amount of time alone. 

There's been a lot of nostalgia, also, and some memories blazing, banked high. It hasn't bothered me. There's a phase of grief and loss where the memories sting or even stab, and feel like the sharpest knife. Then there's a phase where one can also remember, and be amazed, and wonder how in hell such things were even possible, and be glad. I'm not there 100% of the time, but even a few months ago such a grateful recollection wasn't even conceivable. 

I lack the sharp mental focus I really ought to have, to be more efficiently honing the dissertation, but I am working anyway. It is what it is, and has to be as good as it is, and that's that. Some fascinating employment opportunities are out there that I have applied to, or I'm in the process of applying. A couple of long shots, a couple of probably good fits, who knows. It's all just a matter of rolling the dice. 

I got the impulse to go to Chicago to see FKA Twigs in November, since I had unused travel funds from a canceled trip last February, tickets to her show are only $34, the tour is getting incredible rave reviews, I never go to concerts like that, I've never been to Chicago, and she's not doing any shows out west. So I booked a flight, a car, a room on the lake, and I'll be there for the weekend, Nov. 14–18. Why not? It turns out Roscoe Mitchell is doing a show the same weekend, so I bought tickets to that also. Talk about contrast. 



Mostly I am simply not resisting the hermit energy of this time. I'm not trying to do anything, really. Intuition is extremely sensitive, as a result. My mind is pretty quiet, which is unusual for me. I guess it's the benefits of a regular meditation practice. Maybe just a phase. I'll take it, over the relentless discomfort and pain, as well as astronomical highs, of the past while.  



from the Marigold Tarot by Amrit Brar


No comments:

Post a Comment

This is an anonymous blog, mostly in an effort to respect the 12th tradition of Alcoholics Anonymous. Any identifying information in comments will result in the comment not being approved.