Introduction

Friday, September 6, 2019

A turn to the south

 A beautiful morning in Dixie National Forest, packing up and heading out. I decided to prolong the trip a couple more days, since I was a few days away from having to return the rental car, so I headed down to Flagstaff. 














 I camped at Sunset Crater National Monument, a bit pricey but the National Forest was closed due to a huge fire. 









 The Museum Fire, which burned about 2000 acres north of Flagstaff. 






 The campsites at Sunset Crater ridiculously large, really more designed for big rig RV's and families. It was pleasant though. 



















 A big thunderstorm came through and I hung out in my tent reading Melody Beattie. 








 The next day, I stayed at an unremarkable motel called the Pinecrest, then I headed back to Tempe the day after that. 110 outside when I got back. 



 I had to scramble, return the rental car, clean out my own car, go to my landlord's house to pick up my security deposit which I got back in full. I had one day in Tempe before heading to Tucson for the Botanical Society of America annual meeting. 

My landlord and I were talking about my situation, he mentioned his ex sister in law having a place to rent, I went over and met and voila,m it was all arranged. More about the place later. The next day I headed down to Tucson.
















 The conference was at the very nice and expensive JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort. Weird. 



 Some of the posters in the poster session. I look at these and I'm still fascinated, but I imagine a lot of non plant people would think they were pretty funny or esoteric. 












Maybe the fifth rainbow of the trip. It was July 28th, a month after I had left Tempe in the rental car. The trip was definitely not over, it just shifted. I was thrilled to be at the conference and to see many friends, tal with other botanists, go to incredible sessions. 




 Feeling okay, enjoying great food in Tucson, getting some good encouragement, basking in the high summer desert beauty of Tucson. 















No comments:

Post a Comment

This is an anonymous blog, mostly in an effort to respect the 12th tradition of Alcoholics Anonymous. Any identifying information in comments will result in the comment not being approved.