Introduction

Saturday, December 14, 2019

Travels with Sappho

I wrapped up all of my teaching obligations for the semester, managed to get a fully formatted draft of the dissertation to my committee chair and then, yet again, move out of where I was living. Having discovered that Subarus are stereotyped as "cars for lesbians" and being quite proud of that fact, I realized of course my new car's name is Sappho, and Sappho and I embarked on a strange phase during which I don't know exactly where I am going or what I am doing. I was awarded a completion fellowship from the School of Life Sciences, which is basically the same pay as a TA-ship (including health insurance), which means there is no need for me to be in Arizona, and Sappho and I are on the road. 

The first stop was the Binational Baja Botany Symposium, an annual event that is usually south of the border but was in San Diego this year. I presented the research I had done on the ancestral biogeography and evolution of the cacti I worked with, and attended at least 20 other presentations, all of which were great. Saw some old friends, made new ones. 

 From the Salvador Dali Universal Tarot

A full December Cold Moon


 Let's go!

The marina in Point Loma, from the hotel balcony. 

And so, now what? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is an anonymous blog, mostly in an effort to respect the 12th tradition of Alcoholics Anonymous. Any identifying information in comments will result in the comment not being approved.