Introduction

Monday, August 12, 2019

Waiting for the One and Only

I spent some time with an old friend the other night, a woman I've known since 1995, and first of all, was incredibly honored that she cooked dinner for me. "I almost never cook for men," she said, and I knew it without her having to say it anyway. She and I have that way of falling out of touch, sometimes for years at a time, but usually picking up right where we left off. 

For reasons I won't go into here, she recently acquired the ability to talk to people's bodies. And to listen to the stories. Like a body psychic. A body talker. And I consented to have her listen to mine, and she said, "You're waiting for your one and only." 

Ugh, seriously? Does my body say exactly what that means? 

"Also, follow your instincts, re: a partner." 

"Also, I'm getting something about Australia."

That last one still seems odd. I know nothing about Australia, I know no one from Australia, and Australia isn't on my radar. 

Following my...instincts makes perfect sense, as I tend to think my way into and out of things (see the post, Singles Ad, below)- and the elaboration of the thought was that there is a "ball level" knowing, a direct and unquestionable knowing, that I will benefit from paying attention to. 

But: waiting for the one and only? I have to admit I was not expecting to hear that. It makes perfect sense. It's unpleasant. My mind thinks it knows exactly what that means, but my body talking friend of mine would neither confirm or deny. I wonder if there's a way to not wait for the one and only? I guess I'll just have to feel my way through that one. 

The heart has its reasons that reason knows not. The body has its reasons that maybe the heart and reason know not. And what we want to be may or may not be. Or just plain isn't. 

Is it possible that we wait for what can never be, even when we know it can't ever be? The mind is repulsed by such a thought. Samuel Beckett would love it. I picture me, sitting at a bus stop, waiting, yet knowing the bus is never coming. Why would a body do that? Still trying to figure that one out. But- uh- yeah-good luck with that buddy. Listen to your gut. 

Just listen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

This is an anonymous blog, mostly in an effort to respect the 12th tradition of Alcoholics Anonymous. Any identifying information in comments will result in the comment not being approved.