Introduction

Friday, December 28, 2018

The year's music memorial

Every year around December 31, I go back and try to find all of the musicians I admire who passed away during the previous year. I like to honor their effect on my life and remember that they have died. I do birthday posts and other historical items every day on Facebook and it's important in that context to keep track of the history. 

The list from the past year has some very big losses for me: Cecil Taylor, especially. But also Aretha Franklin, Hamiet Bluiett, Sonny Fortune, Randy Weston, Hugh Masakela, Nancy Wilson, Glenn Branca. Lesser lights relative to my own experience include Perry Robinson, Victor Hayden (The Mascara Snake), Imrat Kahn, Roy Hargrove, Otis Rush, Ndugu Chancler, Jabo Starks, Buell Neidlinger, Dolores O'Riordan. 






In remembrance, as the year makes its exit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is an anonymous blog, mostly in an effort to respect the 12th tradition of Alcoholics Anonymous. Any identifying information in comments will result in the comment not being approved.